Administrative Coordinator / Marketing & Events Assistant
TITLE: Administrative Coordinator / Marketing & Events Assistant
REPORTS TO: President
HIRING RANGE: $32,000 – $34,000/year
COMMISSION ELIGIBLE: Yes
The Carteret County Chamber of Commerce is a 501(c)6 nonprofit membership association that represents more than 900 businesses, professionals, individuals and organizations. Under the direction of the President, the Administrative Coordinator will perform a variety of administrative duties including reception, bookkeeping, and general office maintenance. This position also provides administrative and creative support for the Marketing & Program Development Manager and will have opportunities to learn and develop marketing, event planning and program administration skills.
This is an entry level position with future leadership opportunities depending on performance. The qualified candidate will be able to confidently and accurately perform the administrative duties listed below, and have a passion for building community. Must be able to work some evenings and the occasional Saturday or Sunday depending on event schedule.
WHAT WE OFFER
Local Networking: In this role you’ll have the opportunity to network with hundreds of business owners, professionals and community leaders at Chamber events, fundraisers, award banquets and in official meetings.
Skills Training: You’ll be trained on the basics of digital marketing, including website maintenance and social media; event planning and execution for events ranging from 10 to 700 attendees; and program coordination for a variety of educational, networking, and service-oriented programs.
Professional Development: The Chamber offers growth opportunities for both our members AND our staff. You’ll be encouraged to take part in professional development opportunities year-round, including the renowned Leadership Carteret class.
Administrative (approximately 50%)
- General bookkeeping and payment processing
- Maintains adequate records of all transactions, correspondences and service contracts
- Prepares financial, member attrition and other reports
- Monitors accounts receivable and identifies overdue accounts.
- Contacts members with overdue accounts to collect payment
- Maintains accurate and up-to date membership records and online directory
- Carries out duties such as maintaining a filing system, typing, copying, scanning, and faxing.
- Ensures that all Chamber documentation is current: policies, insurance, taxes, etc.
- Handles sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- Greets visitors to the Chamber office, provides information, answers questions and responds to requests.
- Answers and routes incoming phone calls and manages incoming/outgoing mail and electronic communication.
- Assembles monthly board member packets, creates the agenda, sends reminders and attends the monthly board meetings.
- Monitors office supplies and purchases items as needed following a set budget; runs errands as needed
- Maintains tidy appearance of Chamber office and coordinates with cleaning company
- Other duties as assigned
Marketing (approximately 30%)
- Assists with the updates to the Chamber’s websites and social media channels
- Assists with the development of publications distributed by the Chamber
- Prepares weekly Events Guide and assists with other newsletters as directed
- Prepares and assembles information for new member, sponsorship, relocation packets and similar
- Prepares promotional graphics using Canva, Adobe Illustrator or similar
- Takes photos/video at Chamber events and other activities
- Other duties as assigned
Programs & Events (approximately 20%)
- Provides administrative support for various volunteer committees
- Prepares and assembles program and event materials
- Assists in the planning and implementation of various events and activities
- Processes ticket sales at Chamber events
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma required; Bachelors or Associate degree preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft applications such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint or similar software
- Proficient typist
- Experience with general bookkeeping and QuickBooks or similar software; related degree/certificate preferred
- Experience with reception, secretarial and general office duties preferred
- Entry-level experience with WordPress, social media marketing, email marketing, photography, and/or graphic design preferred but not required
- Entry-level experience with event planning and/or execution preferred but not required
- Must have driver’s license and reliable transportation
To apply to this position, please send your resume and a cover letter to Chamber President Tom Kies.
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
The Chamber President directs activities of the Carteret County Chamber of Commerce which represents more than 900 businesses, professionals, organizations, educational institutions, government units and individuals, who share a common objective to create and foster a healthy environment in which to conduct business; and are committed to enhancing the quality of life for all citizens. The Chamber President is responsible for the oversight and management of all aspects of Chamber business and activities in a manner that is consistent with the Chamber’s Mission of improving the economic climate of Carteret County. The President serves as the visible leader of the Chamber, as communicator, facilitator, implementing and assessing Chamber programs, projects, and events.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
• Develops and communicates recommendations for continuous improvement, and serves as a representative for the Board for all contact with the Chamber members.
• Works with committee chairs and other volunteers in the planning and execution of all committee activities.
• Responsible for preparing agendas, maintaining Board minutes and records.
• Regularly assesses the needs and interests of the membership and develops/delivers services according to those needs and interests.
• Maintains positive relationships through various means of advocacy, collaboration and communication with the membership and actively promotes Chamber services and programs.
• Assures a system for the measurement, monitoring, and continuous improvement of quality of services and operations, to ensure membership retention, growth, and development.
• Creates and presents, for Board approval, annual operating and capital budgets that reflect the programs and goals of the organization.
• Assures proper administration of the Chamber financial activities; maintains appropriate data, records and financial controls; communicates and coordinates, as appropriate, with the Board regarding financial matters.
• Provides regular analysis of financial trends and projections to the Board; recommends sound responses and strategies to assures financial strength of the Chamber.
• Presents the Board an annual operating plan including proposed goals, targets, and strategies; identifies tactics and initiatives to carry out the plan; monitors the plan and makes amendments as necessary; provides leadership and direction to the Board to complete an annual evaluation process of the organization’s achievements.
• Responsible for the Chamber staff. Recruits, trains, supervises, and develops Chamber employees.
• Creates and oversees, in collaboration with the Board, a comprehensive and competitive salary/benefit program for staff members.
• Fosters a positive work environment/culture to develop and sustain a competent and energized team.
• Oversees and supports an effective marketing/public relations program.
• Actively networks and collaborates with public officials, business leaders and media to create and strengthen strategic alliances and partnerships with the Chamber.
• Participates in professional meetings and educational conferences to maintain and enhance professional competence; incorporates new knowledge and fresh insight into plans and operations of the Chamber.
PREFFERED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred or comparable professional training and experience in community relations, sales, marketing, budgeting, operations, and/or government relations.
• Chamber of Commerce certifications through the US Chamber of Commerce or American Chamber of Commerce Executives (ACCE) preferred but not required.
• General knowledge of business practices including ability to forecast/develop a yearly budget, ensure timely delivery of monthly financial reports to the Board and maintain general control of expenditures.
• Working knowledge of state and local legislative political processes and environments.
• Ability to identify, lobby for, and secure sources of federal, state, and local government funding to encourage business growth in the County.
• Proven ability to implement strategic plans and forecasts to identify and achieve business development objectives, and plan for the future and realign priorities quickly.
• Ability to effectively lead/manage people, and provide oversight of operations and administration.
• Demonstrated fundraising experience with events, campaigns, and grant writing.
• Strong English language aptitude, including the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing (including the use of texting and email).
• Polished presenter, comfortable presenting and using technology in front of large audiences.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; including ability to maintain effective relationships with the Board of Directors, Chamber members and staff; effectively collaborate with business leaders of the community, as well as with government representatives, civic leaders and members of the public.
• Proficient in the use of business technology, including a general knowledge of social media.
• Firm commitment to the mission and core values of the Chamber.
• Strong ethical responsibility to coworkers, officials, affiliations, associations, and community.
• Demonstrates the highest level of personal and professional integrity.
To apply to this position, please send your resume and a cover letter to our search committee at email@example.com.